Taking too long? Close loading screen.

It’s the holiday season! Yes… the food, the music, the relatives and the chaos!!!

Hello humans, with the festivities approaching we’ve decided to gather some important information on how the holiday season may not be so merry for many dogs.

Dogs love food just as much as the next guy, but that doesn’t mean they should be eating the same things you are. So, since they pretty much WILL eat anything off the floor and your plate when you’re not looking, here are some tips to keep them safe, happy and out of the emergency room!

 

  • That turkey sure smells good but please do Fido AND you a favor, don’t let him eat it. Heres why: Seasoned and fatty foods like turkey meat, skin and ham are not easily digested by dogs and can lead to gastroenteritis and pancreatitis if consumed. Additionally, cooked bones pose a choking hazard and can splinter in a dogs’ digestive tract causing internal damage.
  • Onions and garlic make foods tasty but are toxic for dogs. Onions and garlic, along with other foods such as rhubarb, leeks, and chives cause damage to a pet’s red blood cells leading to serious health issues and even death in severe cases.
  • No nuts! Did we mention nuts are not good for them either? Although it is safe to give a dog peanut butter, giving him peanuts requires a little more caution. Do not feed if they are coated, candied or salty. However, macadamia nuts, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, and pecans should never be given to dogs, they cannot be digested by dogs due to their high-fat content and cause pancreatitis, fever, and vomiting.
  • Chocolate, raisins, and grapes are a no-no! For reasons still unknown, grapes and raisins are highly toxic for dogs causing kidney failure with lack of urine production, a condition known as anuria. Chocolate, on the other hand, contains a substance called theobromine which accumulates to toxic levels in the system causing upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea.  
  • Cheers to NOT drinking alcohol. Alcoholic beverages are a no-no for pets as well. Their kidneys can not process the alcohol content, hops, grain and yeast in beer. Furthermore, anything that derives from grapes, like wine, is toxic to dogs. Be especially careful if any alcoholic bevs have spilled on couches or rugs, as it can be absorbed through the dogs’ skin and can still cause damage.

Provided by Nationwide pet insurance

sources

Pet MD

AVMA

Pet Health Zone

Dogster

 

 

Book Meet & Greet Today!

Let's Get Waggin'

New Client Special

$10 OFF your first service

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Share This